August 24, 2009

Sadly .. I give up....

Yep ... I give up. This is just too much work to fight. Hard to believe it, that I'd be willing to just write of eight thousand dollars because "it's too much work".

Unfortunately, while I think I'm in the right, the courts appear to be unsure. It seems to basically come down to whoever is willing to fight the longest ... or has the most money ... wins. And if I fight this and lose, I could end up owing court costs and their lawyer fees.

So, the risk just isn't worth it.

So, I'll be writing the attorney soon and accepting their last offer. I will be giving up $10K of my settlement because this hospital got paid, but they want more.

Bastards.

I also learned that the attorney is well known, and not well liked. His reputation among the various insurance people and attorney's I've spoken to isn't one of respect either, but they all know him. What a sad job it is to take money from people who have been injured just because of a loophole in your contract.

But I'll take the fight elsewhere. Arizona really doesn't have laws that protect the injured parties in a crash, so it's time to get them. Bankruptcies have very clear rules about who is entitled to what, Arizona does not. I finally got a look at the part of the hospital's contract with my health insurance provider, and it is even more vague. It basically states that the insurance provider will neither support or hinder their going after the funds. Their lien is also vague ... 'customary charges'?? What the heck does that mean. Well, it seems they think it means they can charge whatever they want and go after any funds they can in a crash.

Stay tuned for more details after this is resolved. One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment