June 29, 2009

The longest 7 mile ride I've ever been on

So, there I was, strapped to a back board in the rear of an ambulance. Three or four EMTs surrounded me, trying to get an IV in so they can give me my favorite pain med, morphine. Morphine, when given correctly, brings the pain down to a dull ache very quickly without getting you all goofy. My only prior experience was 18 months earlier when I had my appendix removed. The hospital staff back then asked me my weight, injected it into my IV, and in less than 30 seconds my stomach only felt like it was a little sore. I learned that day how to get attention in a hospital. The pain was so great I was slamming my foot up and down on the gurney, and banging my fist against the wall. When you do that, they bring you pain medication. My guess is that it's so you don't disturb the other patients.

But this time, it's not an internal organ that is giving me fits, it's my left foot. The foot and ankle are amazing appendages. They consist of dozens of tiny bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilages, and blood vessels in a delicate balance that provides locomotion and balance. Did I mention they also have nerves?? Lots of tiny little nerves that were all firing off to let me know to not even try to put weight on that foot. While I appreciated the effort, if it had gone away two minutes after the crash I would have been happy.

But, back to the ambulance ride. This was the first ambulance ride I ever saw a bill for in my life. I'm 49 years old, and have been fortunate enough to never have needed an ambulance. The bill for an ambulance ride was over $900. The charge just to pick me up was almost $710, and then a small mileage rate. To be fair, they did send four very professional EMTs who I felt gave me very good care. They have no idea what to expect when they arrive at a motorcycle crash, so I'm sure they send as many as will fit. Plus, they have to pick up my fat ass and put it in the ambulance, so for four guys that's about 60 pounds apiece.

Now, one does have the right to refuse an ambulance one does not call for. Hey, it's just a crushed foot, I could have asked my wife to take me to the hospital. As I was sitting on my bike earlier, trying to decide what to do, I remembered a friend of mine that was in s small crash and broke her leg. She was taken to the hospital in a car, and recovered. But she was told in the hospital that if she had put any weight on it, it would have severed her artery and she would have bled out before anyone knew. I learned in first aid class that the best thing to do is no matter how little you think you are hurt, is to lie still and wait for someone with a lot more training to show up. That's why I pay for health care, and why anyone who doesn't should probably reconsider the value of it. This little crash ended up being billed at close to $50,000. Without insurance, I would have been in deep financial trouble. All because of a broken foot. The damage to the motorcycle?? $900. Why anyone would find a way to pay for car insurance but not find a way to pay for health insurance is beyond me. Oh ... and not all motorcycle insurance policies cover medical payments for the driver. Check yours today, and if you don't have it, consider another provider.

All that being said, that's why I took an ambulance ride instead of being a brave man and ride in a car.

The ride to the hospital was .... uncomfortable. The EMTs prefered to not give me the full dosage of morphine if I didn't need it. So they gave me a little bit. It dulls the constant pain, but I still got stabbing jolts shooting up and down my leg. So they gave me a little more. Better, but they could still tell I wasn't in a good mood. So one more time and I finally stoped stiffening up every 10 seconds from the pain. We joked around a bit, as guys do. I thought I was pretty funny, but in hindsight it could have just been the morphine.

I do remember this. As I was lying down, both on the ground and in the ambulance, I kept saying things like 'fudge sticks'. For some reason, this big tough biker who is known to swear quite regularly, felt it wasn't acceptable to use F-bombs around a group of people he didn't know. I actually forced myself in the ambulance to drop a few just to keep up my reputation.

We reached the the emergency room finally and I was taken directly to trauma and given the name 'gumbo 69' . I guess in cases like mine where they don't know the full extent of the injuries and prepare for the worst, they just take you right in without all that messy paperwork. I was on a hospital gurney and being stripped of my clothes before I knew what was going on. This isn't a complaint, I have nothing but respect and gratitude for both the EMTs and the emergency room staff.

Next ... what I learned in an emergency room.

2 comments:

  1. Health insurance. Yes, I understand the concept, but insurance should be things that don't normally happen so, if they do, you are covered. Fire and flood damage to your home, car accident, etc. Everyone gets sick, everyone gets hurt. It is a fact of life no matter what. I'm glad you had the insurance John. Like you said, it could have potentially set you up for financial ruin - and this was due to an incident that was not your fault! Everyone in this country should have the security to know that, if they are in an accident, need their gallbladder or appendix emergently removed and they don't have insurance provided by their employer or have been turned down because of pre-existings, or the coverage is extremely minimal, that their lives are not ruined.

    That's it. I'll get off my soap box now. Looking forward to your next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have had this discourse before, but here is what I don't understand. I pay over $400/month for insurance on two cars, two motorcycles, and a house. I only pay $200 for my healthcare. So why is it people can budget for the insurance on things that if broken cost a few thousand, maybe a couple hundred grand for a house to fix but won't pay half as much for insurance on something that could cost hundreds of thousands or even millions to fix? And since they won't, why should I?? Should I also pay for their car insurance if they can't afford it? Or their house insurance?

    Just something to think about....

    ReplyDelete